INTERVIEW - SANYERI OLANIYI AFONJA

COULD you tell me briefly about your background?
I come from the Afonja family in Oyo State. My father is an artisan while my mother is a trader.

Are you from a polygamous home?
No; my father has only one wife- that is my mother.

How many are you in the family?
In Yoruba land, one does not keep count of someone's children. But I am the firstborn of the large family.

What kind of person were you as a child?
Ha! As a child, I made people laugh a lot most of the time because I was very funny. Yet, I was very reserved and courteous. I couldn't stand being in a crowd. And even now, I have not changed. But when I am on set, I am a different person entirely. Above all, I was a lively person as a child.

How old are you now?
I am in my late 30s.

What school did you attend? I had my primary education St. Michael Primary School, Oke-Ibo, Oyo Town, Oyo State, and I later attended Durbar Grammar School, Oyo Town, Oyo State.

Didn't you attend any higher institution?
No.

Why?
It was because I joined a theatre group very early in life. So, I will say my love for acting robbed me of having tertiary education.

How?
I was with a travelling theatre group then, so we were always moving form one village or town to another. In fact, I almost didn t finish my secondary education.

So, you started acting right from when you were in the secondary school?
Yes, I did, by the special grace of God.

Okay, when precisely did you start acting?
I started sometime in 1991/92. I was very young at that time and I was going to different towns and villages to act. So, for me, it was a struggle of sorts between acting and education. I actually wanted to further my education yet I didn't want to call it quits with acting because I could see a future for me in it. I believe that everything has been predestined. So, as I said earlier, I stopped schooling because ofacting.

How did your parents react when you dumped your education because of acting?
They were both not happy. When I went into acting, my parents were discouraged from sponsoring my education because they realized that I was already literally lost to acting.

They never supported my going into acting because they wanted me to further my education. They were really bitter about my attitude. So, knowing that I was very passionate about acting, they felt it would amount to a waste of money if they forced me to go to school.

Did they just fold their arms and watch you follow your heart? I mean didn't they do anything, like beating and scolding you, just to discourage you from acting? I am asking these questions because I know some parents, out of desperation, will not mind consulting an alfa, babalawo or even a pastor for some spiritual assistance over this kind of matter.

Yes, they did all that. I remember a day we were doing what we called propaganda for a particular performance. Usually, during any propaganda, you would find drummers, dancers, persons who wore heavy make-up and chanted incantations, all in a bid to create a lot of buzz about the play in question. So, on that day, my father was somewhere playing draught.

But as soon as he sighted me, he dashed inside because he was ashamed of me. Meanwhile, immediately I also saw him, I tried to hide because I was afraid he might beat me and disgrace me in the presence of my colleagues. So, we were both hiding from each other. Looking back now, I will say my father did all that because he didn t know what fate had in stock for me. But I have always known that I have a talent for acting and that there is a future for me in it.

What really was the attraction in acting then?
Originally, I didn't know that one could learn acting anywhere, but I just knew that I am a born comedian. In those days, whenever I was in the midst of my father's or mother's friends, they laughed a lot when I talked. I would say something and they would laugh out their hearts.

At that time, one of my classmates, Sheriff Ademola Lawal, knew that I loved to watch Yoruba movies a lot and he believed I was a comedian. So, during one of our discussions, he just hinted me that he was into acting under the leadership of Prince Oluseyi Adeoye Cultural Group in Ajagba Oyo State. So, I asked him to introduce me to his boss.

So, you cut your teeth in acting under Prince Oluseyi Adeoye?
Yes, I did. It was about 1992 and I have never for once stopped acting since that year.

How was your growing up like?
Sincerely, I am from a very humble background. But then, my parents were still able to provide our basic needs for us. I think God purposely created me into family, so I could lift the family to some enviable height. But when I later came to Lagos State,! faced a lot of challenges.

When and why did you come to Lagos State?
I relocated to Lagos State in 1996. It was basically to further purse my acting career. That year, I joined the Hakeem Alimi( Ajala Jalingo) Theatre Group as soon as I got to Lagos.

So, what were the challenges you had then?
To me, they were challenges then; but looking back now, I would say they were necessary steps that any up and coming actor must go through. My oga always warned us not to accept any engagement or pick up any role without his knowledge.

Also, he always warned us to stay away from the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos, so that we won't be misled by some undisciplined people who used to flock there. Although he was only trying to 'package' us well, we thought he was not interested in our progress. But today, I thank God I heeded his advice.

But the most memorable day was when my friend, Adekola Tijani( popularly known as Kamilu Kompo ana Muniru) and I were almost lynched in Mushin area, Lagos. It was a very nasty experience. We had barely settled down in Lagos when the incident happened.

We were coming from a rehearsal at Damigoro Street in Mushin and we happened to see a pickpocket. So, being a 'JJC' (an expression for a newcomer in a place), we started shouting 'Oie! Oie! Oie!' with a few other people. Then, the guy cleverly dropped the stolen items. We were both in his hot pursuit.

Eventually, when they caught up with him, he denied stealing anything. Unfortunately, my friend and I had collected one of the stolen items from him. The mob took us for robbers and descended on us mercilessly. We were beaten to pulp. Ha! I can never forget that day because we ran from Mushin to Fadeyi for safely.

What were the stolen items?
I honestly can't remember now. But it was a very terrible experience and we almost vowed that we would call it quits with acting. I am saying this because if we had not gone for rehearsal and were under the care of our parents, we wouldn't have been involved in such an unfortunate incident.

How much were you paid for your first movie role?
You see, the first time I ever received any tangible fee for a job was when I did a commercial for Globacom.

You mean since you started acting in 1992 or thereabouts?
Yes, that was in 2009.

How did you get the Glo job and how much were you paid?
For obvious reason, I won't disclose the amount involved. Already, people have been harassing me since I did the commercial, even though they don't even know how much I was paid. Iremember I was living in a face-me-i-face-you apartment in Somade Street, Dcorodu, that time and I went to bed around 9.00pm that day. I woke up in the night to wee and when I checked my phone (popularly called^a/osa), I saw several missed calls.

So, I called back the line in the morning, but I was told to call Funke Akindele. When I called her later, she said she had tried my line several times and that I should go and meet some Glo officials at the Tafawa Balewa Square, Onikan. So, I went there and we struck a deal.

Why were you considered for the job?
I don't know, but it is the will of God. Actually, we were two that featured in the commercial.

I am still wondering why it took you that long to be handsomely rewarded for your efforts in the industry.
You are right, but maybe I should mention that I also got some money from Epsalum Production when I produced my first movie, Okan Enl, in 2004.1 was paid N500,000 by Epsalum.

So, does it mean you were acting free of charge before then?
Not really; but until you are a star in the industry, what you receive is just peanuts.

How many movies have you acted in?
I have lost count, my brother.

But how many movies have you produced?
I have produced seven movies and I am just about shooting my next movie. They are: Okan Enl, 2004; Oro Asotl, 2005; Ifura, 2006; Adaba, 2007; Oro Oloun, 2008; Alna Orosun, 2009; Ikoja Aye, 2010; Opa Kan, 2011; and I am about to shoot another movie this year.

Why do you produce a movie every year?
I don't fancy the idea of producing too many movies m a year.

But I think you are also guilty of the same thing since you produce a movie yearly?
You can't blame me or anyone else who does this. It is because of the situation we have now found ourselves in. In the past, when you produced a movie, you could live on the proceeds for the next three years. But things have changed now; so, only a few people can afford to produce a movie once in a year.

Don't you regret the fact that you don't have tertiary education?
Ha! I regret it very much. I honestly regret it and I feel bad about it today. If I had higher education, I would be faring much better than I am now. It would have even enhanced my status in the industry. I still repeat it; I regret it very much. I know that I am popular and recognized in the Yoruba movie sector and even among the Yoruba-speaking movie fans, but how do I appeal to the English and Hausa movie fans when I can't speak English.Jf I could speak English, I would be able to relate to the actors and producers in these other sectors.

I have lost so many opportunities to work for some corporate bodies because I am not good at English. If you can't speak good English, you can't act in English movies; so, this is the greatest challenge I have in the industry. Yes, I can converse in broken English, especially in an informal setting, but who will give me a role in an English movie ? The viewers are no fools; so they will complain. People enjoy me when I act and crack jokes in Yoruba because I am proficient in it, but can my acting make any sense to non-Yoruba-speaking fans?

So, what step are you taking to remedy this situation?
Well, it is not too late to go back to school. But as you know, there is time for everything. If I decide to go back to school now, it will affect my profile in the industry at this period. Imagine if I collect money for a jot) and it clashes with my lecture in school, won't that be a big problem for me? So, now, I am only trying to consolidate on my achievements because I know I have a long journey ahead of me. I really want to establish myself very well in the industry for now. I am saying this because some people still see me as a flash in the panjiut I know I have come to stay. I want to be a brand and a household name before venturing into any other thing.

Why do people think you are like a flash in the pan?
I hear this comment always and the attitude of some people also betray this feeling. Some think I am only fortunate to have attained this height in so short a time. Yes; I know I am fortunate, but I wonder if people who say this realize that I have been m this profession for 20 years. So, if God, in His infinite mercies, has chosen to place me in this position and some people feel I am only fortunate, then, I don't think I should lose sleep over that.

And so, I am doing everything within my power not to bungle this opportunity. I don't ever want to be regarded as someone who once reigned or a fallen star; I don't want to lose relevance in the industry. So, I don't care a hoot about such mischief makers who think I don't deserve what I am getting in the industry now! In all my life, I have never done anything apart from acting.

Apart from Prince Adeoye, who are your other bosses in the industry?
They are so many, but I only learnt the trade under Prince Oluseyi Adeoye in Oyo Alaafin and Hakeem Alimi, alias Ajala Jalingo. But in 1999, I met a senior colleague, Muyiwa Ademola, who also put me through a few things in acting. He didn't train me really, but I regard him as a senior colleague and an adviser.

How has your relationship with each of them impacted your lifestyle?
Ajala taught me the need to be disciplined as an actor; he also taught me to be humble. However, Muyiwa taught me the need for endurance. He always emphasized that no matter the circumstance, you must not give up. Really I almost called it quits with acting at a pomt in my career.

Why?
It was due to some pressure from my family.

Could you explain better?
Okay, at a point, my parents were having serious financial challenges, so they couldn't meet the needs of my siblings.

How many are they?
They are about seven. So, as the first born, I needed to assist my parent to take care of my younger ones. As a result, my attention was divided and it was affecting my acting job. Then, I was doing some menial jobs while also acting. And, of course, I was always absent at rehearsals. So, when Muyiwa realized I was no more totally committed to acting like Adebayo Tijani and Adekola Tijanij he advised me that I should not waiver m anyway.

He made me realize that I needed to be comfortable first before I could think of helping anyone else. So, from that moment, I resolved that nothing would ever distract my attention again.

Looking back now, would you say acting has paid off for you?
I thank God for all that He has done for me since I came into the industry and I am praying for more blessings. I am comfortable, I am not living a beggarly life and I don't have any regrets doing it. I won't say more than this.

I hear you are one of the very expensive as actors in the Yoruba movie sector now. How true is this?
It is funny that people say Odunlade Adekola and I are the highest-paid actors in the Yoruba movie industry now. But I can tell you truthfully that we are not. I don't know how much Funke Akindele charges per role and I don't know how much Odunlade Adekola charges either. So, nobody knows how much 1 earn per role.

But what is the least fee you can collect per role?
It varies, and don't forget the Yoruba have a tradition of helping one another. So, it depends on the script, the number of scenes you are acting and your relationship with the producer.

Are you a Muslim or a Christian?
I am a Muslim and my Muslim name is Mikail.

I once read that you were initially denied the US visa; so when was the first time you ever travelled abroad.
It was just a blatant lie and a wicked rumour! I was never denied the visa to the US at any time. In facts I was granted the visa the first time I applied for it in January 2012. Luckily, I also got the Canadian visa in February this year. So, my first oversea trip was to the US in January and Canada in February.

How did you feel when you were granted the US visa?
I was extremely happy that day. I can't describe how I felt when the visa was handed to me. The reason was that there were so many educated people whose applications were not granted that day. But I got my own without tears. And I almost cried. When I also got the Canadian visa, I was equally happy, though it wasn't like the American visa.

Could you share your experience in America with me?
Because I had never travelled abroad before then. I didn't know how the country looks like. All I know is that some of our fans abroad do call us once in a while to express their appreciation to us. But I never knew how much people love me until I got there, and I am pray God will continue to guide me aright. When I got there, it was as if God had blessed me with all the good things of life.

I was given a rousing welcome. Many of them wanted me to pass the night in their homes. And I kept wondering how they could love me that much, even with all the marks on my face. For me, it was a very humbling experience. Yes, we have a lot of fans at home, but you will still find a number of people who are only interested in collecting money from you. I didn't suffer any moment of embarrassment abroad, unlike in Nigeria, where touts would embarrass you publicly. With all modesty, it was when I moved to Canada that I knew the whole world really loves Sanyeri. May I not be conceited; and may I not come the way of a mean person.

Have you suffered any embarrassment as a result of the marks on your face?
Honestly, for a long time, I used to feel bad about it. But at a stage, it began to fetch me money, so I stopped having any regrets over it. When we were in the secondary school, I was poked at and called all sorts of derogatory names like Anago, Okola, Ojela, Owala, and I felt bad about it. I don't know why I was given those marks on my face. Maybe it was meant to make me famous; after all, my fans know I have marks on my face, yet they love me. There are several people who are handsome and have no tribal marks, yet people don't love them as much as they love me. So, why would I continue to have regrets about it?

What movie launched you to the limelight?
Itwas Aina Orosun.

Was it in this movie you played the role of Sanyeri?
No, I hacl been given the name when I was work with a senior colleague, Dehinde. We had gone for a stage play in Ogbomosho, Oyo State. As Fadeyi Olori is to Jimoh Aliu and Abija is to the late Alhaji Ajileye, so also was the Sanyeri character to that group. On that particular day, the guy who was acting Sanyeri was not available for some reason I can't remember now; so, I was asked to play the role. After the performance, the leader of the group was impressed with the reports he got from people, so he then said I should continue to play the role. And that was the genesis of Sanyeri.

Who wrote the movie, Ambali and Muniru, between you and Adekola Tijani?
I wrote it for a guy, Olatayo Amokade, who has been very loyal to me. I did it in order to dispel the rumour that I had never helped him in any way, in spite of his loyalty and dedication to me. So, I shot the film for him.

I have watched the movie and I wonder if it is not a farce, as some scenes lack verisimilitude.
First and foremost, I consider the movie as controversial. When I got the inspiration, I was scared that it might embarrass the generality of Muslims, especially the Alfas. I was afraid if people would not say I set out to denigrate Islam. But I tried as much as
gossible to see that it made some sense. >on't forget that while you have real and knowledgeable Muslim and Christian clerics, there are still charlatans.

In the story, both Muniru and Ambali are clowns and undisciplined elements from their village. They are registered at an Arabic and Islamic Studies school, but even before they complete their course of study, they decide to go on their own. As a result of their half-baked knowledge, they end up creating those funny scenes you consider as unrealistic. But much later, they return to the school to complete their study; and then they become better and more disciplined persons.

How did you get the inspiration to write OpaKan?
I thank God for the inspiration. In fact, I never imagined it would take that form. I only wanted to write a comedy movie, but even in doing that, I knew it should teach some lessons.

When did you buy your first car?
I bought my first car, an Under Civic, in 2009] It was a 1996 model because I was still a struggling man then. However, I hear all sorts of rumours now about me buying one car or another, which is really unfortunate.

But is it not true that you bought a N5m car recently?
I didn't buy a N5m car! Yes; I bought a car, a Pilot, but I didn't buy it for N5m. This is the car they are talking about. (The interview was conducted inside the ?osh car at a location). It is even a bkunbo car (a second-hand car).

When and how did you meet your wife?
We met in 2004 and got married in 2007.

What struck you most about her whenyou met?
I will keep saying it that she is like an angel to me. We were both struggling when we met, but she stood by me during the trying periods. It was not as if she was giving me money then, but she really stooaby me in every way possible. She always prayed for me and encouraged me a lot (and still does).

While we were still dating, I was living in a one-room apartment at Ijora-Bachya with three other friends and colleagues namely Adebayo Tijani, Adekola Tijani and Ibrahim Chatta. The four of us were all living in that same room. We had not become stars then, though Chatta is older than we are. So, to me? the only precious gold I have is my wife, Mrs. Omolara Afonja.

How did you toast her?
I saw her at a party with a friend. Then, I noticed that the Friend had briefly left her to do something; so, I approached the lady to help me talk to her (my wife). The looked at me scornfully and said I should talk to her myself. So, I did. After exchanging pleasantries with her, she just giggledand asked me to excuse her. Later, we Dumped into each other on some occasions, chatted and then, she eventually agreed accepted me, so to say.

What is she into now?
She is a businesswoman.

How many children is the marriage blessed with?
Two children: two males aged five and three.

Were you not in any relationship before you met her?
I was not in any serious relationship with any girl until I met my wife.

What were the qualities you wanted in your would-be wife and did you find all of the minher?
From the outset, I had always prayed for a beautiful woman, so that I won't have any cause to engage in adultery. You see, 1 believe that if I am married to a beautiful woman, I will always want to return home to her warm embrace, and by extension, my children. If you love your wife, you will naturally love her children.

I found everything I wanted in a woman in my wife. She is taller than I am; she is very beautiful as far as I am concerned; and she is educated enough to help my children in their studies. I have never had any problem since I married her. But as you would expect since my profile began to rise, I nave noticed some changes in her attitude. Obviously, some people have been feeding her with some unpleasant reports about me. Though she is not bothered so much, her attitude betrays her feelings.

How?
Okay, sometimes, when I return from a location, she will ask me such questions as: 'Are you sure nothing happened while you were away? My concern is that she was not asking me such kinds of questions before. So, I realized she has been listening to hearsay. So, I called her and explained to her that I'm still very much committed to her; that I am busier now as an actor because of my status in the industry- and that I am struggling now to build a solid foundation for our future.

So. as proof that I appreciate her very much and still love her dearly, I bought a car, Under Baby Boy, for her this week! She is gold to me and she has been very supportive of me. Have you seen her before? Oh! She is very beautiful? And if she could stay by me when I was nobody, then, you should understand why I say she means a lot to me. If she married me now, I would say she married Sanyeri for his money. But she married Olaniyi Afonja when I was not a star.

How about your parents?
They are still alive. By the grace of God, my mother is going on Haji this year. And by the grace of God, I will also be going on Haii this year.

Have you suffered any bad press?
Nothing serious really, except when they reported that I built two houses and all that

Isn't it true?
It is a lie. Even if I am putting up any building anywhere, I can't claim to have a house until it is completed. So, as we speak, I have not built any house.

What role normally brings out the best in you?
It is comedy roles. I can act any other role, but I am more at home with comedy.

Besides, I like challenging roles, where my performance will shock the viewers.

So, what has been your most challenging role so far ?
It was my role in Toyin Aimaku's movie, Iku doro. I had got to the location before I knew the enormity of the role. I played a hard character, which was different from my familiar character as a comedian.

Who do you love to be paired with on set?
I like to work with all my colleagues. When I am on set with any actress, lam a true professional and I don't misbehave. I try to study the character of the person very well, so I can blend. But in particular, I usually enjoy working with Ronke Oshodi-Oke. I usually have chemistry with her on set because she is a good comedy actress. If you ask her the same question, she will tell you she likes being paired with me.

What stands you out as a comedian? First and foremost, I want to appreciate all my seniors in the industry. But as Sanyeri, I am trying to create a niche for myself. My ogas have done so much for the industry and they are the pathfinders and torch bearers in the comedy business. But in my efforts to distinguish myself, I have deviated from the traditional way of dressing known with most comedians. So, in my case, you can find a well-dressed actor acting comedy. So, you don't have to dress like a clown and all that.

If Adekola Odunlade wears a suit in a movie, I can as well wear the same and still act my comedy role. I am, however, not condemning those who do it. That is why in my movies, you will find people like Antar Laniyan, Funke Akindele, Femi Adebayo, Dele Odule, Mercy Aigbe, Dayo Amusa and Ayo Adesanya et al acting comedy roles.

Which is your most successful movie so far?
It is Opa Kan because it opened a lot of doors for me, just as Jennifa is to Funke Akindele.

What message do you have for your fans?
Firstly, I appreciate them all. But in recent times, I am disturbed as a result of a new trend in our industry. For instance, there are certain movie jackets that bear my pictures. But sadly, I was not part of the productions. I have taken it up with the producers of these movies.

It is a just cut- and- paste kind of job. What they do is they will cut one or two scenes from their past productions where I acted in and paste the scenes in some new ones that I didn't act in. But the danger is that when my fans see those movies, they will be tempted to buy them. But after seeing the movies, they will begin to ask questions. It is really saddening. However, I want to assure my fans that we are looking into it.

No comments

Recent Post