I’m not Mad about getting roles in English language movies –Odunlade Adekola

The winner of the Yoruba Movie Academy Awards, Odunlade Adekola,
wastes no time in tellinghis critics that he is not eager to accept a
role in any Nollywood movie shot in English.
And to those who imagine that he has been shying away from such films
because of his little knowledge of English, he replies, "That is not
true. Contrary to what you think, I have appeared in two English
language movies that have not been released. Soon, I will proceed on
a locationfor yet another English language film."
The actor is not obliged to apologise to anyone for his preference for
Yoruba films. "It'sa life long dream of mine to become a world-class
actor with bias for expressing myself in my mother tongue, which is
Yoruba. I really don't see how that has negatively affected some
people. Really, I'm not crazy about the English roles because I don't
believe in trying too hard to speak the language that cannot bring out
the best in me as a core and proud Yoruba man.
"Do the Amita Bachans and the Kapoors of India and the Yang Yin or
Chang Chong from China try too hard to speak English? Why should my
own case or those of us proudly projecting our indigenous language be
different? Those popular soap operas that our ladies nowadays love to
watch so much on TV thatare from South America were notoriginally
voiced in English language but Spanish.
"They are complaining that I love to act in Yoruba films a lot, but
what the complainants don't realise is, I'm creating job opportunities
for graduates of English language to subtitle my films in English," he
says.

No comments

Recent Post