AM CREATING JOB FOR ENGLISH GRADUATE'S- Odunlade Adekola

Odunlade Adekola, the
winner of the Yoruba Movie
Academy Awards, has a fair
diction of English language
should not be a yardstick to
measure his talent or
performance in the industry.
The handsome dude who has
stated making money in
Nollywood with series of
endorsement has come out to tell
his critics that he is not eager to
accept a role in any Nollywood
movie shot in English.
"Contrary to what you think, I
have appeared in two English
language movies that have not
been released. Soon, I will
proceed on a location for yet
another English language film.
That I don't act frequently in
English film shouldn't be an issue
at all. Do the Amita Bachans and
the Kapoors of India and the
Yang Yin or Chang Chong from
China try too hard to speak
English? Why should my own
case or those of us proudly
projecting our indigenous
language be different?
Those popular soap operas that
our ladies nowadays love to
watch so much on TV that are
from South America were not
originally voiced in English
language but Spanish"
The actor is not obliged to
apologise to anyone for his
preference for Yoruba films. "It's
a life long dream of mine to
become a world-class actor with
bias for expressing myself in my
mother tongue, which is Yoruba.
I really don't see how that has
negatively affected some people.
Really, I'm not crazy about the
English roles because I don't
believe in trying too hard to
speak the language that cannot
bring out the best in me as a
core and proud Yoruba man.
They are complaining that I love
to act in Yoruba films a lot, but
what the complainants don't
realise is, I'm creating job
opportunities for graduates of
English language to subtitle my
films in English," he says.

No comments

Recent Post